Categories
Uncategorized

History of the airport of the Republic

1. Aviation of Farmingdale origin:

Located in Farmingdale, Long Island, Republic Airport is a historically important airfield in the region and the world, playing both military and civilian roles. But long before it became an airfield, it spawned manufacturers who built airplanes.

“The Industrial Revolution and aircraft manufacturing came to Farmingdale during World War I, when Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breeze established their pioneer factories in society,” write Ken Nobeck and Leroy E. Douglas in their book “Aircraft Manufacturing in Farmingdale”. , 2016, pp. 9). “They were attracted by the presence of two branches of the Long Island Railroad Line … adjacent Route 24, which brought traffic to and from the Bridge on Manhattan’s Fifty-ninth Street; the level of crossing the plain that provided land for flying fields; proximity to skilled; workers … “

However, the first aviation roots of the area were planted in 1917. The Lawrence Sperry aircraft company, founded that year with $ 50,000 in capital and located on Rose and Richard Streets in the village of Farmingdale, has released its first aircraft in the form of a Messenger.

Designed by Alfred Verville of the U.S. Army Engineering Division at McCook Fields, the 17.9-foot miniature biplane was intended for “air motorcycle” missions housed in small clearings to land and land messages from the commanders ’field, thus earning its name. Farmingdale’s aviation roots were equally cultivated by the Sydney Breeze, whose Breese aircraft company, located in East Parkway, designed the Penguin. Similar to the Bleriot XI aircraft, the mid-wing aircraft powered by a 28-hp Lawrence twin-cylinder engine was a non-flying, pre-flight trainer designed to help the U.S. Army pilot move from basic to operational types. Deployed on the open prairies of Texas, it had too short a wingspan to create a lift, but allowed the bird pilot to gain a sense of aerodynamic force before taking off on its horizontal tails. Of the 301 released only five were used for this purpose; the rest were placed in storage.

2. Fairchild Aviation Corporation:

When Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breeze laid the aviation foundation of Farmingdale, Sherman M. Fairchild cemented it.

Initially fascinated by aerial photography equipment, he founded Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation in 1920, selling two such devices to the military, and then deployed a company in Feldshire aviation photography to map, when he received a contract for an additional 20.

Seeking to replace many types of aircraft, he operated a single specially designed camera platform, Fairchild developed the necessary specifications for one, but could not find a manufacturer who could build it at a reasonable price. Forced to do so himself, he set up his third aviation company, Fairchild Aviation Corporation, and moved to the Sperry factory in South Farmingdale, liberated by the tragic death of Sperry founder in December 1923.

In a single-wing single-engine aircraft designed for the FC-1 and first flying in a prototype in 1926, the cockpit was fenced and heated to protect the pilot and his camera equipment, but its original OX-5 engine proved inadequate. Equipped with a Wright J-4 with more capacity and was converted to FC-1A.

The production version of the FC-2, supported by wheels, floats or skis, featured an increased cabin volume. Powered by a 200 hp Wright J-5, the aircraft, designed for commercial operations, moved 31 feet in total length and 44 feet. Seating one pilot and four passengers, or up to 820 pounds of cargo, it had 3,400 pounds of gross mass and could reach a top speed of 122 mph and control segments of 700 miles.

Demand at the South Farmingdale plant soon eclipsed capacity. After an airport survey of the region, Fairchild himself chose an alternative 77,967 acres on the south side of Route 24 and on Conklin Street in East Farmingdale, a site that offered predominant south shore winds and multiple land access via railroad line and main corridor. transportation of personnel and raw materials to the new field. Repacked in planes, the latter can then take off.

The 77,967-acre Fairchild Airfield was developed in the late winter and early spring of 1928 and was originally owned and operated by Fairchild Engine and Aircraft Company, according to the Long Island Airport Historical Society. ) took place in the late spring of 1928 after the Fairchild and Fairchild Jitter factories were completed and the aircraft manufactured (there). Fairchild built models of 41, 41A, 42, 21, 100, and 150 aircraft … “

The wings, similar to the Hampstead Plain in the west, re-emerged from the farm fields on Long Island, built, propelled and maintained by Fairchald’s aircraft plant, Fairchild engine and Fairchild Airfield after Faircam Realty, Inc., bought the land, and her the original layout was established on November 3, 1927.

Although Fairchild released several models at its new Long Island aviation center, its roots quickly proved insignificant. After moving with headquarters to Hagerstown, Maryland, in 1931, just three years later, he vacated his facilities, which were almost immediately occupied by the American Corporation, or AVCO, whose aircraft and engine divisions produced the Pilgrim 100 for American Airways. But the Depression, which captured too much of the economy, severely reduced demand for it, as aircraft purchases were high on the company’s cost-cutting list, and its presence was shorter than Fairchild’s. By mid-1932, he had disappeared equally.

3. Grumman Aviation Corporation:

Originally in Valley Stream, where she developed the floats, Grumman Aircraft Corporation moved further east, to Ferchald Flying Field and lived at the former Fulton truck factory, where it hatched its first FF-1 fighter. With a 750-horsepower single Wright engine, a biplane with a retractable chassis was also proposed in a scout configuration like the SF-1.

The most significant aircraft that emerged from the East Farmingdale production line was the Duck. Based on the XO2L-1 of the Loening Aeronautical Engineering Corporation, it was handed over to the U.S. Navy in 1931, but because Loning himself lacked the necessary funds to build it, he turned to Leroy Grumman, his former colleague, who re- presented it in a modified kind of. Adopted on April 25, 1933, the biplane, dubbed the XJF-1, powered a 700-hp Twin Wasp engine that operated a three-bladed Hamilton Standard propeller. His pull-up, which consisted of one set of fuselage struts and another of wires between the two wings, was minimal for his day. Water operations were supported by a centerline, a fuselage float into which the chassis was drawn.

A total of 632 JF and J2F Ducks were produced, which entered the global, role-playing service.

Although Grumman’s presence in Farmingdale surpassed that of anyone else, it ended a decade and a half later, in 1937, when he moved to a large headquarters in Betpag, Long Island.

4. Seversky Aviation Corporation:

The next Northern Aviation Corporation took center stage in Farmingdale when it moved there from Point College to Queens, which occupied the former factory of the American corporation.

Decorated as an ace of World War I, Alexander Pavlovich de Seversky, like Igor Sikorsky, immigrated to the United States from Russia, and in 1923 developed the first gyroscopically stabilized shelling in the company of Sperry gyroscopes before creating his own corporation, Seversky Airport, which focused on aviation instruments. and details.

It was originally contributed by fresh capital to the EDO aircraft float plant.

Its first major design, the SEV-3, was both aerodynamic and progressive, reflecting Seversky’s aviation-intuitive character. Powered by a single nose, a 420-hp J-6 Whirlwind missile, an all-metal low-wing aircraft containing the pilot and two passengers in sliding, tandem canopies, or supported by a wheel suspension. or floating, and in 1933 set a world speed record for reciprocating amphibians. Two years later, on September 15, it maintained a speed of 230 mph.

The foundation of many subsequent versions, which outwardly showed only minor changes compared to the main design, turned into the next major iteration – BT-8. As the first all-metal cockpit design operated by the U.S. Army Air Corps, it had a 24.4-foot length and a 36-foot wing span. Operating on a Pratt and Whitney R-985-11 with 400 hp, the 4,050-pound aircraft, which contained two, had a top speed of 175 km / m. Thirty were built. This led to the final version.

Originally occupying Hangar-2 on New Highway, and now used by the American Museum of Air Power, Seversky Aircraft Corporation took over the Grumman plant in 1937 when it moved to Betpage, thus supporting the two facilities. But, repeating a brief history of East Farmingdale airfield tenants, it ended abruptly: although Seversky, like many other aviation-minded “geniuses,” possessed the necessary design skills to build progressive aircraft, he lacked the necessary flip-side equation needed to develop and a lucrative business plan to market them, resulting in a loss of $ 550,000 by April 1939. During a European sales tour six months later, on October 13, he was ousted by his own board of directors who voted to deviate from the same company that he founded.

The Republican Aviation Corporation was reorganized and rebranded.

5. Republican Aviation Corporation:

The fortune of Fairchaid’s Flying Field was about to change. Engaged in World War II, the young Republican Aviation Corporation will explode in size, and its roots will become so deeply ingrained in Farmingdale’s soil that it would be decades before they could be found.

The Republican P-47 Thunderbolt became instrumental in this war.

Defeating the Seversky R-35, it was the result of the requirements of the Army Air Corps, which included an airspeed of 400 km / h, serving a ceiling height of 25,000 feet, at least six 50.5-caliber, machine guns, armor protection, self-sealing fuel tanks and a minimum fuel capacity of 315 gallons.

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, which drove all other aircraft, was the largest in the world, the heaviest single-engine strategic fighter of World War II, offering an unsurpassed dive speed.

The growth of the officially renamed “Republic Airport” led to the expansion of the existing factory on the south side of Conklin Street, as well as the construction of three additional buildings, the installation of a control tower and extension of existing runways, all in an effort to support production of P-47, which numbered 9 087 units in Farmingdale and required 24,000 manpower to execute them by 1944. Thousands of employees are filtered every day. The round-the-clock production line clapped from the planes every hour at the plant, and then they were transported by pilots of the Air Force of the Women’s Air Force. Republican aviation, one of the country’s major arterial defense arteries, pumped machines and vehicles into Farmingdale’s agricultural plains and turned them into an arsenal of democracy in 18 months.

“By 1945, the Republic had contributed more than 30 percent of the Army’s Air Force to military efforts against the Luftwaffe in the skies of Europe,” Leroy E. Douglas wrote in an article in The Conklin Street Intersection, published in the September 1984 issue of the Long Island Forum. 182). “So the Republic, the Ranger and 23,000 of its workers, more than half of whom were women, did their part to win the war.”

When the doors of the Great Patriotic War closed, so did the Thunderbolt factories, and the Republic was forced to diversify its product range in terms of destination and power plant, turning the military Douglas C-54 Skymasters into DC-4 commercial aircraft, producing 1,059 civilian amphibious aircraft Sea trying to design passenger transport on its own.

As a result, the Republic XF-12 Rainbow aircraft – along with a competitor and the Hughes XF-11 with the same power supply – both received a contract for two.

Imitating the graceful lines of the Lockheed Constellation, Rainbow, which has a total length of 93.9 feet and incorporates the design experience gained during the development of the Republic’s fighter jets, gave the look that was captured by Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine when it reported: “The sharp nose and cylindrical shape of the XF-12 cigar fulfills the designer’s dream of uncompromising design with aerodynamic considerations.”

Peace has proved the enemy plane. The end of World War II avoided her (and comparable Hugh XF-11) needs. However, due to its range, high speed and altitude, day and night, photo-reconnaissance capabilities with limited visibility, it was ideal as a platform to display territory. Indeed, on September 1, 1948, the second of the two aircraft built photographed its transcontinental flight route from the Air Force Flight Test Center to Moorek, California, to Mitchell Field in Garden City, Long Island, during Operation Bird’s Eye.

Returning to its military roots, the Republic entered an era of self-sufficiency with its successor the R-47 Thunder.

With a length of 37.5 feet, the design, conceived shortly before the end of the war in 1944, retained the straight wings associated with aircraft. They stretched to 36.5 feet.

First flown on February 28, 1946, the 19,689-pound fighter-bomber, designed by the F-84 Thunderjet and capable of climbing at a speed of 2,610 per minute, set a national speed record of 611 mph, running at 3,735 pounds J35-. GE-7. Its range was 1,282 miles, and its service ceiling was 40,750 feet. Its production was 4,455 units.

Development of its successor began in 1949. Due to a lack of funding from the Air Force, the Republic cut development costs while maintaining total, by 60 percent, using the F-84, but introduced wings. The aircraft, which runs at 4,200 pounds Allison XJ35-A-25 and was originally designed YF-96A, first took off on June 3 of the following year, three months before its renaming to F-84F Thunderstreak.

Korean funds increase the war, which allowed the republic to complete the second prototype, which first flew on February 14, 1951 with the YJ65-W-1 engine, followed by the first example of production, which rose to the sky on November 22, 2014. 1952. The type was deployed by countries NATO during the Cold War.

Production of the F-84F Thunderstreak numbered 2,713 aircraft.

However, Ken Nobeck and Leroy E. Douglas summed up the production of aircraft on the basis of the republic, stating in his book “Manufacture of aircraft in Farmingdale” (pp. 7-8). “While aviation began in Farmingdale with cloth-covered aircraft and biplanes and propulsion engines, after World War II the Republic helped move the U.S. into a jet age with the F-84 and F-84F, which assisted U.S. forces in Korea and NATO countries. 1950s “.

6. Federal Corporation Fairchild

Although Fairchild departed from the same airport he had established in 1931, the absence was short-lived. Appearing three years later, he lived at his former engine plant as the newly formed Ranger Aircraft and Engine Corporation and remained there until 1948. But the second time the story had to end in a complete cycle.

Nine years later by purchasing Hiller helicopters, he became Fairchild Hiller, and in July 1965 acquired most of the Republic’s stockpiles, bringing the Republican Aviation Division to Fairiller Hiller. So Fairchild returned to the soil in which he planted his first seeds. In 1971, he continued buying, purchasing Swearingen and producing and selling the 19-passenger Fairchild-Swearingen twin-seater turbovirus. The following year, the company adopted the official title of “Republic of Fairchild.”

Its basic design, conceived before the acquisition of the republic, was born of the Air Force’s requirement for a close-flying aircraft that includes simplicity, ease of maintenance, and short-field performance to operate small air bases close to combat. string.

Labeled the A-10 Thunderbolt II and receiving 733 production, it assisted in the Gulf War and during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

7. Post-war production:

Although the airport of the republic and its airlines were associated mainly with the design and manufacture of military aircraft, from its doors also appeared a variety of commercial and space components.

Напрыклад, да Boeing 747 былі, напрыклад, вядучыя рэйкі, задняя краёвая заслонка, спойлеры і элероны, пабудаваныя падраздзяленнем Рэспубліканскай авіяцыі Фэрчыльда Хіллера, у той час як было заключана таксама кантракт на выкананне аналагічнай ролі ў прапанаваным, але адмененым, звышгукавы авіялайнер 2707.

Не менш неад’емнай часткай касмічнага шатла былі кампаненты Рэспублікі Фэрчайд, вырабленыя ў Фармінгдейле.

29 сакавіка 1973 года, атрымаўшы кантракт Rockwell International з Лос-Анджэлеса на суму 13 мільёнаў долараў, Фэрчайльд Хілер распрацаваў і распрацаваў шэсць алюмініевых вертыкальных стабілізатараў хваста, якія праносілі 45-градусныя вядучыя краю і вымяралі 27 футаў у 22 футы ў даўжыню, у Hangar 17, разам з звязанымі з імі рулямі і хуткаснымі сіламі. Першы, усталяваны на выпрабавальным транспартным сродку Enterprise, спрыяў яго атмасфернаму запуску з платформы 747 пад кіраўніцтвам авіяцыйнай базы Эдвардса 18 лютага 1977 г., а астатнія былі ўстаноўлены на касмічных чоўнах Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis і Endeavor.

25 студзеня 1980 г. Фэрхільд падпісаў пагадненне з Сааб-Сканіяй Швецыі аб пашырэнні ўдзелу пасажырскіх авіялайнераў, які пачаў займацца авіякампаніяй SF-340, што стала першым цалкам сумесным прадпрыемствам амерыканскага і еўрапейскага вытворцаў авіяцыі. У Рэспубліцы Fairchild было заключана праектаванне і будаўніцтва крылаў, гатункаў рухавіка, вертыкальных і гарызантальных хваставых паверхняў, канчатковая зборка якіх адбылася ў Швецыі.

Фэрчайлду Суарынгену была ўскладзена адказнасць за маркетынг у Паўночнай Амерыцы, у той час як сумесная шведская кампанія Saab-Fairchild HB заснавала офіс у Парыжы для выканання гэтай функцыі ў іншым месцы.

Пры дапамозе двухтурбавых турбавіторных рухавікоў самалёт змяшчаў 34 пасажыра ў чатырохпавярховай канфігурацыі з цэнтральным праходам.

Правёўшы каля 100 набораў крылаў, аднак, Fairchild спыніў кантрактную працу на рэгіянальным авіялайнеры, адступіўшы ад усіх грамадзянскіх праектаў, і самалёт быў перароблены на Saab 340.

8. Змена роляў:

31 сакавіка 1969 г. аэрапорт Рэспублікі перадаў уладальніку сталічнага транспарту (МТА), які працягваў пераўтвараць яго ў грамадскае карыстанне, набыўшы 94 ўрадавыя акры ад урада ЗША і набыўшы дадатковыя 115 прыватных належаць ім на поўдні і паўднёвым захадзе.

“Сталічнае транспартнае ведамства прыняло тытул у аэрапорце рэспублікі як першы крок у пераўтварэнні яго ў авіяцыю агульнага карыстання”, – паведамляе Гістарычнае таварыства аэрапорта Лонг-Айленд.

Пачаўшы праграму мадэрнізацыі, ён унёс некалькі ўдасканаленняў. Напрыклад, інтэнсіўныя лямпы былі ўсталяваны на 5,516-футнай узлётна-пасадачнай паласе 1-19 і 6 827-футнай узлётна-пасадачнай паласе 14-32, напрыклад, апошняя з якіх таксама была абсталявана прыборнай сістэмай прызямлення (ILS). Фабрыка грузавых аўтамабіляў “Фултон”, першапачатковая структура аэрапорта 1916 года, была зруйнавана, а Flightways ператварыў пляцоўку ў дзесяць акраў з паўночнай боку маршруту 109 у комплекс новых ангараў, адміністрацыйных будынкаў, бакаў для захоўвання паліва і самалётаў самалётаў. . Будынак адміністрацыі, тэрміналаў і тэхнічнага абслугоўвання падвойнага ўзроўню адкрыўся ў 1983 годзе, недалёка ад яго, і незадоўга да гэтага пачаўся этап працы 100-футовай, 2,2 мільёна долараў кантрольнай вежы FAA.

З мэтай садзейнічання эканамічнаму развіццю прылеглага рэгіёна 1 красавіка 1983 г. заканадаўчы штат Нью-Ёрк перадаў права ўласнасці на ўпраўленне Дзяржаўнага дэпартамента транспарту штата Нью-Ёрк (DOT), якое праінфармавала дзевяцічленны аэрапорт Рэспублікі. Камісія. Наўрад ці яна зменшыла тэмпы мадэрнізацыі.

Сапраўды, восем гадоў праз 3,5 мільёна долараў, 25 600 квадратных футаў Grumman Corporate Hangar, замяніўшы сховішчы самалётаў, якія раней падтрымліваліся ў яго зачыненым аэрадроме Bethpage, і ў ім размяшчаюцца Beechcraft King Air, Gulfstream I і два брытанскія аэракасмічныя BAe- 125-800-я гады, адкрыты.

У красавіку 1993 года зямля была разбіта на 3,3 мільёна долараў, 20 000 квадратных футаў SUNY Farmingdale, аэракасмічны адукацыйны цэнтр на ўсходняй частцы маршруту 110.

Даччыная кампанія “Air Air Support” (“Мільён эйр”) пабудавала на паўднёвым усходзе аэрапорта 11,700 квадратных футаў і фірмовы ангар, а да 2001 года кампанія “Air East” пачала працу ў сваім новым, прамяністым ацяпленні, 10 000- ангар з квадратнымі футамі, які таксама прадстаўляў краму ў 2500 квадратных футаў і офіс і школу палётаў 4500 квадратных футаў. Яшчэ адзін ангара-офісны комплекс, размешчаны ў раёне Ламберта, адкрыў свае дзверы ў чэрвені 2005 года, калі чартэрная кампанія Talon Air пачала сваю дзейнасць.

Для таго, каб забяспечыць павелічэнне клірансу, неабходны для бізнес-самалётаў апошняга пакалення, такіх як Gulfstream V і Bombardier Global Express, праезная дарога B (брава) была перамешчана.

Сапраўды, толькі з 2000 года было ўнесена больш як 18 мільёнаў долараў капіталу.

Гэтыя ўдасканаленні, якія забяспечваюць аэрапорту новую, агульную авіяцыйную ролю, магчыма, былі прадчуваннем будучага.

У 1982 годзе Рэспубліка Fairchild атрымала кантракт на будаўніцтва двух вучэбных самалётаў новага пакалення ВПС Т-46А; але этап, які першапачаткова разглядаўся як грашовая выратавальная схема, даваў толькі адваротны эфект: хаця прататып быў упершыню прадэманстраваны праз тры гады, яму не хапала каля 1200 дэталяў, і хаця другі здзейсніў паспяховы дзявочы палёт за 24 хвіліны ў ліпені з 1986 года кантракт на праграму, багатая палемікай, быў адменены, у выніку чаго былі звольнены 500 супрацоўнікаў.

Як і многія кампаніі, якія залежаць ад ваенных кантрактаў на выжыванне, Рэспубліка Fairchild без выбару спыніла сваё існаванне на наступны год, пакінуўшы свае прарастаючыя заводы і спадчыну, якая пачалася на шэсць дзесяцігоддзяў раней. Па іроніі лёсу, гэтыя два імёны, якія былі найбольш важныя для пачатку і росту аэрапорта – Фэрчыльд і Рэспубліка – былі тыя самыя, якія былі датычныя да ягонай гібелі. Такім чынам, дзверы галоўнага ўпраўлення па вытворчасці і выпрабаванні авіяцыйнага аэрадрома “Фармінгдейл” зачыніліся, а дзверы яго агульнай авіяцыі адчыніліся.

“У 1986-1987 гг. У Кангрэсе кампанія сутыкнулася з вялікімі фінансавымі праблемамі і са стратай падтрымкі праграмы T-46A, Fairchild спыніў вытворчасць SF-340 і T-46A пасля стварэння ўсяго чатырох самалётаў”, – заявіў Кен Нобек і Лерой Э. Дуглас у вытворчасці самалётаў у Фармінгдейле (стар. 99). “Такім чынам, да восені 1987 года семдзесят гадоў вытворчасці самалётаў у Фармінгдейле скончыліся заняткамі і эканамічнымі стратамі для супольнасці і сталіцы Нью-Ёрка”.

9. Авіякампанія:

У 1966 годзе, праз год пасля таго, як права ўласнасці на аэрапорт рэспублікі было перададзена ад Fairchild Hiller да карпарацыі Farmingdale, яна была афіцыйна прызначана агульным авіяцыйным (грамадзянскім) аб’ектам, які ажыццяўляла першую пасадку, двухмоторным букавым апаратам, якім кіравала паветраная служба Ramey з Islip, 7 снежня, каб ператварыць яго ў шлюз, палегчыўшы сувязь авіякампаніі ў трох асноўных аэрапортах Нью-Ёрка, сталічная транспартная адміністрацыя заключыла дагавор з Air Spur для прадастаўлення гэтай паслугі па падачы праз чатыры гады, ацаніўшы кошт аднаразовага кошту ў 12 даляраў.

Хоць Рэспубліка ніколі не разглядалася як буйны камерцыйны аэрапорт, яе цэнтральнае размяшчэнне на Лонг-Айлендзе, блізкасць да калідора маршруту 110 і значная інфраструктура стваралі для яе абмежаваныя, рэгулярныя і чартэрныя паслугі для ключавых напрамкаў бізнесу і адпачынку ў суседніх дзяржавах. Тым не менш, уласцівае ім аператыўнае абмежаванне было сцісла заяўлена ў Абнаўленні Генеральнага плана аэрапорта 2000 года.

“У аэрапорце рэспублікі,” растлумачылі (кіраўнік 3, стар 8), “Дэпартамент транспарту штата Нью-Ёрк у 1984 годзе ўвёў абмежаванне вагі самалёта ў 60 000 фунтаў стэрлінгаў. Гэта абмежаванне вагі абмяжоўвае эксплуатацыю самалётаў звыш 60 000 фунтаў фактычнага валавога вагі. без пісьмовай згоды аператара аэрапорта “.

“Прагнозы паказваюць, што ў аэрапорце рэспублікі будзе павялічвацца колькасць рэактыўных самалётаў”, – гаворыцца ў абнаўленні Генеральнага плана, “а таксама павелічэнне рэактыўных рэактыўных аперацый”, што ў канчатковым выніку даказана штогадовай статыстыкай эксплуатацыі чыстых рэактыўных самалётаў: 2792 у 1986 фінансавым годзе, 0556 у 1990, 4,976 у 1995 і 6,916 у 1998. І, з яго сярэдняй гадавой колькасці самалётаў на базе – каля 500, гэты сегмент таксама быў самым хуткарослым: 10 рэактыўных самалётаў у 1985, 15 у 1995, і 20 у 1998 годзе. З гэтага часу іх колькасць вырасла больш чым удвая.

Адна з першых запланаваных спроб авіякампаніі была зроблена ў 1978 годзе, калі кампанія Cosmopolitan Airlines, якая эксплуатуе экс-Finnair Convair CV-340 і два мітрапаліты Swissair CV-440 у адзінакласных, чатырохпавярховых, канфігурацыях, прапанавала “усё ўключана” дзень, запланаваны чартарныя пакеты ў Атлантык-Сіці з яго цэнтра Cosmopolitan Sky. Яе ўлётка параіла: “Лётайце ў Атлантык-Сіці толькі 19,95 долараў ЗША. Вось як гэта працуе: заплаціце $ 44,95 за білет у двухбаковы палёт у Атлантык-Сіці, уключаючы наземны транспарт да гатэля і казіно Claridge і да яго. Па прыбыцці ў Кларыдж вы атрымаеце крэдыты на прадукты і напоі ў памеры 20,00 долараў у любым рэстаране, акрамя лонданскага павільёна. Вы таксама атрымаеце крэдыт на палёт у памеры 5,00 долараў за наступны бой у авіякампаніі Cosmopolitan на Claridge “.

Перавозчык таксама коратка паспрабаваў прапанаваць два рэгулярныя рэйсы ў Бостан на сваёй пасажырскай CV-440s у 1980 годзе.

Садзейнічанне росту гэтага планаванага абслугоўвання стала будаўніцтва пасажырскага тэрмінала.

“Будынак тэрмінала, завершаны ў 1983 годзе, мае каля 50 000 квадратных футаў карыснай плошчы і размяшчае транспартныя сродкі ў аэрапорце, тэхнічнае абслугоўванне, супрацьпажарную абарону, памяшканне грамадскага тэрмінала і арэнду памяшканняў на першым паверсе, а таксама офісы адміністрацыі на другім паверсе. У будынку працуюць 70 супрацоўнікаў “, згодна з абнаўленнем Генеральнага плана аэрапорта 2000 года (раздзел 1, стар 17).

Спрабуючы ўсталяваць сувязь паміж Фармінгдейлам і буйным сталічным аэрапортам Нью-Ёрка Ньюарк Інтэрнэшнл, каб забяспечыць яго адпраўленне, авіякампанія правінцыі горада Бостан, Правінцыяун, пачала трансфер з прыгарадным самалётам Cessna C-402, які злучаў Лонг-Айленд пры дапамозе 30-хвіліннай авіяцыі скакаць з да пяці штодзённых туды і з каардынацыяй раскладаў з авіякампаніямі PEOPLExpress. Ён рэкламаваў пазбяганне празмерных часоў праезду, выдаткаў на паркоўку і больш працяглыя патрабаванні да рэгістрацыі, якія ў адваротным выпадку звязаны з большым выкарыстаннем аэрапорта, і прапанаваў зручнасць правядзення тарыфаў, афармлення білетаў і багажу ў любым канчатковым пункце PEOPLExpress.

Згодна з раскладам Паўночнай сістэмы на 20 чэрвеня 1986 года, ён прапанаваў вылеты ў Фармінгдейл у 0700, 0950, 1200, 1445 і 1755 гг.

Попыт неўзабаве запатрабаваў замены C-402 на большую, 19-сядзенную Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante.

Усе гэтыя кароткія, няўдалыя планавыя спробы, якія зводзяць на сябе неабгрунтаваную занепакоенасць мясцовых жыхароў, што Рэспубліка ў канчатковым выніку ператварыцца ў буйны камерцыйны аэрапорт і нанесці свой шум бліжэйшым вушам, не змогуць прыцягнуць неабходны трафік, каб зрабіць іх самастойнымі, падкрэсліваючы некалькі фактараў, звязаных з аэрапортам.

1). На працягу апошняй часткі сваёй рэспублікі паслядоўна асацыявалася з агульнымі, а не планавымі аперацыямі.

2). Мак-Артур Лонг-Айленд ужо зарэкамендаваў сябе як прынцыповы камерцыйны аб’ект на востраве, і перавозчыкі, як паказала Precision / Northwest Airlink, не атрымалі ніякіх пераваг прыбытку, разводзячы той жа рынак, але пры гэтым павялічваючы аэрапорт і эксплуатацыйныя выдаткі.

“Рэспубліканскі аэрапорт аказваў абслугоўванне рознымі авіякампаніямі, і кожная з іх спыніла сваю працу”, – гаворыцца ў абнаўленні Генеральнага плана аэрапорта 2000 года. “Тэрыторыя камунальных паслуг у геаграфічным плане абмежаваная, улічваючы вялікія аэрапорты, такія як Ла-Гвардыя, Кенэдзі і Макартур, і паслугі, якія яны прапануюць”.

“З 1969 года аэрапорт Рэспублікі задавальняў патрэбу рэгіёну ў аэрапорце, прысвечаным прыватным і дзелавым самалётам, а таксама на чартэрных і прыгарадных перавозках”, – гаварылася таксама ў ім (раздзел 1, стар. 1). “Паколькі Рэспубліка размяшчаецца пасярод жылых, гандлёвых і прамысловых распрацовак, яе роля адпавядае ролі запланаванага аэрапорта авіяперавозчыка для камерцыйнага рэактыўнага транспарту”.

З нязменным узрастаннем колькасці пасажыраў – з 13 488 у 1985 годзе і 30 654 у 1990 годзе да 33 854 у 1995 годзе – яе будучая пасажырская роля не можа быць цалкам выключана.

“У той час як мінулыя намаганні прыгарадных авіякампаній не мелі поспеху, патэнцыял для будучага абслугоўвання існуе і яго трэба ўлічваць пры планаванні аэрапорта”, – сказаў ён на заканчэнне (кіраўнік 2, стар 10).

10. Будучыня:

У адрозненне ад палёў Рузвельта і Глена Керціса, якія паддаліся ціску сучаснай эпохі і памянялі свае ўзлётна-пасадачныя паласы пад гандлёвыя цэнтры, Рэспубліка 526 акраў здала невялікую частку сябе ў гандлёвы цэнтр Airport Plaza. Інструментальны ў раннім развіцці авіяцыі, а таксама ў Карэйскай, В’етнамскай, Заліўскай і Іракскай войнах, ён ператварыўся ў агульную авіяцыйную ўстанову, дасягнуўшы самалётаў на базе 546 і стаў трэцім па велічыні аэрапортам Нью-Ёрка па аб’ёмах руху пасля JFK International і La Guardia.

Сам заходні авіяцыйны аб’ект Лонг-Айленда, які прадстаўляе сябе “карпаратыўным аэрадромам эканомікі XXI стагоддзя”, складае 1370 працоўных месцаў і 139,6 млн. Даляраў эканамічнай актыўнасці, падтрымліваючы 60 прадпрыемстваў у аэрапорце. The 110,974 movements recorded in 2008 encompassed 52 by non-rigid airships, 7,120 by rotary wing, 76,236 by single-engine pistons, 6,310 by twin-engine pistons, 5,028 by turboprops, and 16,228 by pure-jets. The latter, its second-highest total, emphasizes its increasing role as the “Teterboro of Long Island,” perhaps pointing the way to its future. Indeed, companies considering the area for their corporate locations cite the airport as a major asset, since it provides close-proximity aerial access for personnel and materials.

Toward that end, the State of New York approved funding in April of 2009 for a Vision Planning process to collect data from residents, employees, businesses, and users, and then plot its future course. Specifically, the program had a three-fold purpose-namely, to define the airport’s role, to determine how it will fill that role, and, finally, to ascertain how it will work with the community to attain the desired operational and economic goals.

“As part of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS), Republic Airport is designated as a reliever airport with commercial service,” according to the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 1). “Under ownership by the New York State Department of Transportation, there are specific state development and policy procedures which are followed.”

Although it may never eclipse its current general aviation role, its importance was not to be underestimated.

“”Republic Airport is an important regional asset,” it stated (Chapter 1, p. 1). “It provides significant transportation and economic benefits to both Suffolk and Nassau counties. The policy of the New York State Department of Transportation and the Republic Airport Commission shall be that Republic Airport continue to better serve Long Island.”

Whatever the future holds for it, it has a nine-decade foundation upon which to base it, as acknowledged by the plaque hung in the passenger terminal by the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society, “honor(ing) the tens of thousands of men and women who labored here in East Farmingdale, contributing significantly to aviation technology and aircraft production.” Those men and woman turned the wheels of the 11 aviation companies based there.

Sources

Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society website.

Neubeck, Ken, and Douglas, Leroy E. Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2016.

2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update, New York State Department of Transportation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *